Saturday 21 April 2018

Running the race of life

I walked my 6th Park Run today. What a beautiful day it was. I was walking alone as my faster husband and daughter had gone ahead, and suddenly all the analogies of running/walking and the walk of life started flooding through my mind. Everything I saw and heard carried a double meaning. This often happens to me when I am in a place without the chance to take pen to paper, like when I am driving. Someone suggested that when I find myself in those situations that I make voice notes for later. I have recently acquired a new phone and didn't know how to make voice recordings, so I warned and then flooded my other daughter's Whatsap with about 10 voice notes as I was walking.

Here then are my musings from my walk...

It's good to get out there and actually see what other people are doing in life. There was much activity on this part of the beachfront today with the Park Run, the 5km Bellbuoy ocean swim and early morning walkers. Being social is important because we cannot learn from others if we live in isolation. It's actually easier to keep putting one foot in front of the other because you are watching others doing the same.



There are lots of challenges, obstructions and distractions along the way. There are hard, slogging parts (like the resistance of sand, dodging the water, walking over rocks, slippery surfaces) and then there are easier parts and relief after the hard parts. That brings about new sections (seasons) to tackle and overcome.

There was a t.shirt slogan that I saw that said - 'Who are you running for?' That's a good question to ask and answer.

It is of vital importance to have a goal that you are working towards because that makes the race worthwhile, it makes each step and hard part have a purpose.

When there is a common goal it seems to pull people together in areas where they often pull apart, like age, race, gender, class and religion.

It is also ok if you fall or stop to take a breath, as long as you get up again and keep going.

It is also ok to stop and take photos (stop and smell the roses) and create some fun on your journey and at the same time create happy memories to keep.

Exercise creates a dopamine release - the happy hormone. It gives you energy and the ability to say, 'I can do this!'

When running with one of your children and they ask to go ahead, it reminded me of the letting go part of parenting. Allow them to run their own race.

I also noted the value of support groups - being around people who are dealing with the same stuff as you. You are there to encourage, to be encouraged, to learn, to learn from, support, be supported, to cheer on and be cheered on. If one falls, there are others to pick you up.



There are volunteers along the way who guide you along the right track, encourage and cheer you on. This particular lady said that she has valued others cheering her on when she has been in a race. Reminded me of the value of mentors - those who inspire us, show us the way and challenge us. It gives us something to work towards.

You get to see varying levels of fitness and speed, some overtake you, some you get to overtake. It gives you something to work towards for your next run. Some run past you when you are walking and give you that little bit of energy to start running again. It makes you feel that you can also do that.

You hear lots of different conversations along the way. We need to take every bit of advice and information we can get along the walk of life. Learning from others. Being life-long learners ourselves.

There are different perspectives all around us, like me thinking that all the seaweed washed up on the shore smells quite awful, and a few minutes later I hear someone comment on the lovely smell!

That was a valuable walk for me and I come away just knowing that we all need each other in the race of life. Keep running/walking.
















No comments:

Post a Comment